We are looking for experienced devops engineers who can help us build a devops culture, with infrastructure automation owned by the whole engineering team. Our work is in optimizing advertising and programming for the television and video industry, so our needs around infrastructure are data heavy. We have particular security and compliance needs because we handle third party data.
We do have a product cycle, and your work will support that, but we are looking for someone who enjoys substantial autonomy in planning their work, identifying the long term and non- product work that needs to be done (ideally before it needs to be done), so that our product work is efficient.
Current projects we have on our plate include
Splitting our data warehouse to better protect our data. Evolving our approach to ETL (are we going to stick with our in house workflow manager for new work?). Bringing our existing infrastructure under source control (so far in terraform and salt). Unifying our infrastructure monitoring.
Future work is likely to include moving to containerized services in place of managing differentiated servers, optimizing our use of Elastic MapReduce, and building out the infrastructure for truly isolated testing and development environments.
- Manage existing Infrastructure.
- Implement and maintain infrastructure automation.
- Ensure adequate monitoring.
- Disseminate skills, best practices, and incident response protocols to the engineering team (with as much management support as you want). No direct people management responsibility (for now, but tell us if you’re interested).
- Able to estimate effort and tasks that go into work.
- Able to communicate the need for infrastructural changes.
- Able to build up skills in the rest of engineering.
- Able to prioritize the minimum valuable work.
- Able to avoid creating technical debt.
- Comfortable voicing opinions, and surfacing problems.
- Comfortable participating in team discussions.
- Comfortable telling management about problems.
- 5 years experience working directly on DevOps.
- Really understands what’s happening inside computers when code is executing or data is moving (for example the dynamic behavior of garbage collectors in practice)
- Experience building and scaling production application infrastructure.
- Experience with continuous deployment in Amazon Web Services (EC2, S3, etc.) or another IaaS provider.
- Comfort with scripting languages like Python, Ruby, etc.
- Experience with Terraform and SaltStack or another automation tool like Chef or Puppet Redshift.
- Batch workflow orchestration Streaming ETL technology.
- Comprehensive health, dental and vision insurance for employees and their families.
- Life & Disability insurance and a 401k plan, eligible for company match after one year of employment.
- Pre-tax flexible compensation plan for medical, transit, parking or dependent care expenses.
- Up to 15 paid vacation days depending on grade level (although in reality we’re more flexible).
- 7 paid sick days in a calendar year - if you’re sick, you stay home.
Other cool benefits
- 4 work from home days/month.
- A kitchen stocked with sodas, snacks, yogurt and other goodies.
- A tight knit start up community who likes to eat!
- We celebrate everyone’s birthdays, have frequent team lunches, and do events in and out of the office. We are an active participant in conferences.
To see more DevOps Engineer Jobs click here