Codecademy has helped over 45 million people learn to code. Join one of the most exciting technology companies in New York that is changing the way we learn.
Millennials are highly-educated, tech-literate, and mission-driven. Yet seven years after the great recession ended, nearly half of young university grads are underemployed, meaning they aren’t working jobs that require a degree. And the situation has only recently begun to improve. This year US students will graduate with $37,000 in debt, only to accept unpaid internships and part-time jobs.
Meanwhile, software is eating the world, disrupting first media, publishing, and entertainment, and now food, transportation, and travel, creating millions of new technology jobs that companies are eager to fill. By 2020 there will be a shortage of 1 million more tech jobs than computer science grads.
We can be the bridge. We can help this generation gain the skill to fill these jobs and enjoy happier, more fulfilling careers.
Codecademy’s Platform Team is responsible for the infrastructure and operations to deliver our service to millions of users learning to code. As a Backend Engineer, you will have the opportunity to lead engineering responsibilities of a business domain as well as collaborate with engineers on other teams to enable new feature development.
We are currently transitioning to a Service Oriented Architecture. Collaborate with us to expedite the development of supporting tools, and best practices, and new services.
What You'll Do
- Architect and author services across our platform that enable our users to achieve their learning goals
- Improve the scalability and efficiency of our code evaluation engine
- Support company revenue generation by building upon our payment and billing infrastructure
- Interface with other teams to develop and execute on platform improvements and data migrations
- Contribute to engineering team-wide process improvement and automation
What You'll Need
- 5+ years of experience with Ruby/Rails and/or Golang
- 3+ years of experience building services, web applications, and/or APIs
- In-depth knowledge of networks and databases
- What Will Make You Stand Out
- In-depth knowledge of software design patterns
- Experience launching and managing services on AWS or other cloud platform
- Fearless attitude towards tackling unfamiliar challenges
- BS/MS in Computer Science or engineering