Codecademy has helped over 45 million people learn to code. Join one of the most exciting technology companies in New York as we change the way people learn.
Millennials are highly-educated, tech-literate, and mission-driven. Yet seven years after the great recession ended, nearly half of young university grads are underemployed, meaning they aren’t working jobs that require a degree. And the situation has only recently begun to improve. This year US students will graduate with $37,000 in debt, only to accept unpaid internships and part-time jobs.
Meanwhile, software is eating the world, disrupting first media, publishing, and entertainment, and now food, transportation, and travel, creating millions of new technology jobs that companies are eager to fill. By 2020 there will be a shortage of 1 million more tech jobs than computer science grads.
We can be the bridge. We can help this generation gain the skill to fill these jobs and enjoy happier, more fulfilling careers. Join us.
Codecademy is looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to effectively organize our engineers around projects and deliverables. You are able to motivate and inspire your team to continuously deliver products and features that empower our learners. You execute on deliverables by being a technical resource to your engineers and you actively contribute to coding. You are an excellent communicator and lead communications with your team and partners deftly and in a timely manner.
What You'll Be Doing
- Work closely with product management and design to set a strategic direction for your team.
- Hire and build an engineering team that is inspired by the mission and vision you set for the team.
- Work with engineers to define career goals and align their ambitions with relevant projects and tasks
- Guide your team on architecting and authoring services across our platform that enable our users to achieve their learning goals
- Improve the scalability and efficiency of our code bases
- Collaborate with other teams to get ahead of cross-team dependencies
- Contribute to engineering team-wide process improvements and automation
- 2+ years of management experience
- 3+ years of experience building services, web applications, and/or APIs
- Experience with NoSQL and SQL databases. We currently use a combination of Postgres, MongoDB, and Amazon Redshift.
- Previous performance management and career goal setting experience
- Previous experience working with cross functional teams
- Teaching and/or structured tutoring experience
- Experience utilizing Codecademy’s Platform
- BS/MS in Computer Science or engineering
- You've played an integral part in refactoring to microservice architecture before.
- Experience with containerization technology (Docker, openVZ, lxc, etc.)
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Daily catered lunches with the team
- Paid vacation days & time off
- Private speaker series with leading internet figures
- Wellness reimbursement
- Professional development budget
- Citibike corporate membership
We're here to build something big. The world needs native education and we're going to build it. In a year and a half, we've reached millions of students, created thousands of new teachers, and changed the way the world thinks about code. We're excited by what we can do in ten years. And most importantly, we care about what we're doing.