What do we do?
We are a community of millions of educators who come together to share their work, their insights, and their inspiration with one another. We are the world’s first and largest open marketplace where teachers share, sell, and buy original educational resources.
The New York Times called the phenomenon we lead “A Sharing Economy Where Teachers Win”.
With over 2/3 of US teachers using the site (approximately 3.0M teachers in the US and over 4.0M internationally), we are seeking engineering managers who are passionate about hyper growth and love solving complex problems.
As the engineering manager of Resource Experience (RX), you will be leading a team that's developing a world-class user experience to ensure that educators can effortlessly evaluate the materials they’re using in the classroom.
The RX team owns the features that teachers rely on most when deciding whether to make a purchase, which includes everything from the product page to our comments, reviews and ratings system.
You will be responsible for discovering and defining problems, framing and monitoring success metrics, implementing solutions, and following up on feedback.
In this role, you will
- Recruit, manage, and inspire engineers to deliver a world-class experience to educators and authors
- Help refine our approach to measuring the quality of educational resources being sold on our site
- Manage the product evaluation user experience
- Manage the resource feedback user experience including comments and ratings
- Manage the video user experience
- Ensure that products the RX team owns are performant and reliable
- Build confidence in our systems through automated testing, continuous integration, monitoring, and analytics
- Be an active member of the engineering community by blogging and speaking about your experiences with us
Qualities for a successful candidate
- 5+ years of full stack development experience
- 3+ years leading and managing a technology team
- Strong experience building products from the ground up, managing product teams, and working with a cross-functional team to deliver a world class product
- Experience with service oriented architectures and API driven products
- Strong ability to evaluate technical trade-offs, aka build vs buy decisions
- Well-formed opinions on quality, reliability and maintainability of technical systems
- Interest in working in a fast-paced tech and product-oriented company
- Taking an iterative approach to improvement – favoring data over hunches (and yet hunches over unambitious options)
- Experience with technologies we use in our stack like PHP, MySQL, or Elixir
- OSS Contributor
- Experience with eCommerce/marketplaces