What do we do?
We are a community of millions of educators who come together to share their work, their insights, and their inspiration with one another. We are the world’s first and largest open marketplace where teachers share, sell, and buy original educational resources.
The New York Times called the phenomenon we lead “A Sharing Economy Where Teachers Win”.
With over 2/3 of US teachers using the site (approximately 3.0M teachers in the US and over 4.0M internationally), we are seeking engineering managers who are passionate about hyper growth and love solving complex problems.
The Payments team is a new team in Engineering. As the engineering manager of the Payments team, you will build this team from the ground up and mentor them to develop and maintain a world class Payments product. We are creating this new team to build our global payments product to enable our future growth while also bringing our existing payment infrastructure up to par.
You will be responsible for discovering and defining problems, framing and monitoring success metrics, implementing solutions, and following up on feedback.
In this role, you will
- Lead, recruit, and manage engineers to deliver a world-class payments experience to educators
- Manage the core payments and billing infrastructure including 3rd party payment gateway integrations
- Manage the seller payout infrastructure
- Manage the checkout and shopping cart user experience
- Prepare for future international expansion and design the global payments product.
Think about multiple currencies and payment methods!
- Build robust transaction auditability controls and fraud management tooling
- Build confidence in our systems through automated testing, continuous integration, monitoring, and analytics
- Be an active member of the engineering community by blogging and speaking about your experiences with us
Qualities for a successful candidate
- 7+ years of API development and integration experience
- 3+ years leading and managing a technology team
- Strong experience with payment gateways, payment processors and networks
- Experience with service oriented architectures and API driven products
- Strong ability to evaluate technical tradeoffs, aka build vs buy decisions
- Well formed opinions on quality, reliability and maintainability of technical systems
- Interest in working in a fast paced tech and product oriented company
- Taking an iterative approach to improvement – favoring data over hunches (and yet hunches over unambitious options)
- Ability to mentor and inspire your team
- Experience with technologies we use in our stack like PHP, MySQL, or Elixir
- OSS Contributor
- Experience with eCommerce/marketplaces