What do we do?
We are a community of millions of educators who come together to share their work, their insights, and their inspiration with one another. We are the world’s first and largest open marketplace where educators share, sell, and buy original educational resources.
The New York Times called the phenomenon we lead “A Sharing Economy Where Teachers Win”.
With over 2/3 of US teachers using the site, and 4 million educators globally, we are seeking engineers who love solving complex problems and want to make a meaningful impact in educators’ lives.
As the engineering manager for Data Platform, you will help shape the long-term product & technical vision and own its implementation. You will design and build data-driven technology to improve the lives of educators.
You will be responsible for creating and managing our data platform that will provide a wide variety of services ranging from data pipelines, data integrity, data timeliness for batch and real time data sources and for internal teams and external users.
You will drive data exploration and analysis through advanced statistical methods for product and business insights.
You will manage the data engineering and data science teams.
Like all engineering managers, you will manage product goals and execution, set technical direction and guide product strategy while collaborating closely with other leaders and executives.
In this role, you will
- Shape our long-term vision for our Data Platform
- Build large-scale batch and real-time data pipelines with data processing frameworks like Airflow
- Manage the data warehouse and other analytical data sources like Google BigQuery, Google Analytics
- Guide advanced statistical analysis and build a data science toolkit
- Recruit, lead, and manage engineers and data scientists
- Be an active member of the engineering community by blogging and speaking about your experiences with us
Qualities for a successful candidate
- 3+ years of engineering management experience leading high performing teams tackling difficult problems.
- Experience with building and managing data technologies like:
- data pipelining and ETL (e.g. Kinesis, Lambda, Airflow)
- distributed computing platforms (e.g. Spark)
- data warehousing (e.g. BigQuery)
- data analysis and visualization systems (e.g. Looker, Tableau)
- Experience building distributed systems that handle large amounts of data, with the end goal of making actionable decisions from their output.
- Passion for mentoring and growing teams
- Strong communicator who can crisply explain complex technical concepts
• Comfortable with lean engineering and project management practices with a track record of successfully managing and delivering several large projects
• Loves to move fast and iterate to create high quality data products
• Has a ship-it attitude
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training/work experience.
• eCommerce and/or marketplaces